- Before the actual survey is conducted, a proper site survey interview should occur to both educate the customer and properly determine their needs.
- The end result of a thorough interview and thorough survey will be a WLAN that meets all the intended mobility, coverage, and capacity needs.
- It is highly recommended that you sit management down, give them an overview of 802.11 wireless networking, and talk with them about how and why site surveys are
- Management will need to be educated that because of overhead, the aggregate throughput of a WLAN is 50 percent to 70 percent of the advertised data rate.
- A very brief explanation on how RF signals propagate and attenuate will provide management with a better understanding of why an RF site survey is needed to ensure the proper coverage and enhance performance.
- A discussion and comparison of a 2.4 GHz vs. a 5 GHz WLAN might also be necessary.